Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum featuring language immersion, entrepreneurial thinking, problem solving, creativity, and collaboration. Using a strengths-based approach to learning, all Centner Academy students and teachers have opportunities to do what they love across the curriculum through project- and problem-based learning. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is seeking energetic and creative Preschool Teachers to join its growing faculty for the 2021-2022 school year. Please indicate your position(s) of interest in your cover letter. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students. Shifts will be 8 hours daily.
- Teach reading, writing, math, and science to Prekindergarten and Kindergarten students, providing effective and professional classroom instruction, assessment, and management.
- Develop lesson plans consistent with the mission, values, and standards established with the Centner program.
- Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum development and on enhancing instructional practices and strategies.
- Motivate students to develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge to provide an effective educational foundation, in accordance with each student’s ability.
- Re-teach, reinforce, and/or consolidate specific reading, writing, math, and science skills or concepts with struggling students through intervention groups as needed.
- Work with the Preschool Counselor to aid students in achieving the maximum development and growth, both within and beyond the classroom, achieved through observation of students’ behavior and needs, consultation with the Counselor, Principal, and other professionals, when indicated.
- Provide accelerated instruction and enrichment as needed to students.
- Refine assessment practices to establish goals and objectives for students using developmentally appropriate evaluation procedures, and regularly review these with teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Maintain accurate and completes student records and complete required reports in a timely and professional manner.
- Act as a liaison between school, parents, and outside support specialists.
- Teach in-person with the ability to pivot to teach through distance learning as needed.
- Be responsible at all times for the supervision of students in your care during classes and for students generally at all times when on campus or off campus.
- Provide weekly coverage for recess, lunch and arrival/dismissal duties.
- Participate in required non-classroom activities, including Back to School Night(s), parent/student conferences, retreats, faculty and Centner meetings, field trips, and special activities and performance events.
- Develop and maintain professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships with faculty and staff, as well as with community partners to the benefit of students and classes.
- Support the work of the Principal and administrative leadership team.
- Help to maintain school policies, regulations, and expectations.
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by the Centner administration.
Essential skills and experience
- Florida teaching credential preferred, including a minimum of bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of experience teaching prekindergarten/kindergarten students.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator.
- Collaborative work style paired with the ability to take initiative.
- Strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction.
Nonessential skills and experience
- Knowledge of reading and writing as developmental processes and/or training in reading programs, such as Orton-Gillingham, RAVE-O, Wilson, etc. is a plus
- Familiarity and proficiency with teaching Math in Focus or another Singapore Math based approach.
- Comfort with technology and an openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom; experience with Google Classroom, Zoom, SeeSaw and other online platforms is a plus.
- Strong analytical abilities and enthusiasm for data-driven instruction.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth, and learning.
- Experience working closely with diverse families.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity.