Business Operations Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: The person in this position is instrumental in assisting the Company to provide a productive and engaging workplace culture for employees and ensure its clients receive quality planning and consulting services for the creation of timeless and inspiring places.
Directs, administers, and manages the operational activities of a people focused, exciting and growing landscape architecture company in support of the policies, goals and objectives established by the Owner. Company growth in sales and staff is a key objective.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises Project Managers and Production staff.
VALUES: This person assumes operational duties of running the Company to free up the Owner to better drive the direction and success of the business. This person brings strong business and operational expertise to help improve processes, capacity, and productivity in support of business growth, and brings consistent managerial oversight to the Project Managers and Production personnel to solidify employee satisfaction and retention by focusing on the business aspects of the Company, along with the production of client deliverables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
For the Business
• Works in conjunction with the Owner to prepare annual financial plans and track Company performance against these plans.
• Helps drive the Company toward its sales goals and constantly looks for opportunities to increase sales and customer base.
• Supports the Owner in the development, production, promotion and financial aspects of the Company’s services.
• Develops and implements programs that meet business and financial goals and objectives.
• Provides leadership to ensure a sound organizational structure and processes necessary to achieve current and future business goals and objectives.
• Stays current with industry trends in planning, design, production, and best business practices.
• Develops and implements procedures and controls to promote communication and adequate information flow within the Company.
• Serves as back-up to the Owner during her absence.
• Oversees the software and hardware needs, its maintenance and upgrades.
• Monitors and evaluates the results of overall operations on a scheduled basis and reports these results on the Owner.
• Believes in the Company mission and Owner’s vision for the Company and reports progress toward reaching established goals on a quarterly basis.
• Ensures projects are properly entered and tracked in Base Builders and accurate reports are generated for staff meetings and review by Owner.
For the Clients
• Maintains professional relationships with government officials, civic organizations, and current and potential customers.
• Continually looks for ways to improve Company relationships with existing customers.
• Ensures client expectations are met.
For the Employees
• Provides direction and coordination to the Project Managers and Production staff to ensure all jobs meet or exceed job cost and schedule requirements.
• Ensures that the Company is taking care to provide a safe and comfortable work environment where employees know how to work safely in varying work conditions.
• In conjunction with the Owner, hires, trains, and develops employees to meet future business requirements.
• Keeps employees apprised of Company goals and progress toward meeting these goals.
• Ensures that the responsibilities, authorities and accountabilities of all employees are defined and understood.
• Conducts employee performance reviews, reviewing with the Owner before meeting with each employee.
• Resolves employee grievances.
• Oversees workload schedules to ensure that employees are fully utilized and that commitments to clients are met being mindful of existing workload commitments.
• Develops and oversees peer reviews to ensure high quality designs are produced.
• Provides leadership/mentorship to employees.
• Reviews major contracts with project managers and submits to owner for approval.
For the Projects
• Ensures proper design and technical quality control are in place for assigned projects.
AUTHORITY: Has operating authority to fulfill the duties and responsibilities described above. Position has no authority to hire or fire employees or obligate the company financially or contractually and must function within established company policies and procedures.
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Keeps up to date on the latest planning and landscape architecture industry trends and practices.
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE: The following are required for the employee to be successful in this position:
Maintains a high degree of cooperation, communication, and coordination with employees within the organization.
Personnel issues are addressed effectively and in a timely manner.
Performance reviews are constructive, meaningful, and completed on schedule.
Proposals and work plans are accurate and responsive to client requirements.
Projects meet company quality and profit goals.
Is a respected and positive role model for the employees and an ambassador for the company.
Manages personnel in a way that enhances the culture as set by the Owner.
Weekly, monthly and quarterly reports are accurate and submitted on time.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in landscape architecture or related design consulting business is desirable. A complimentary degree might be considered in combination with relevant work experience.
EXPERIENCE: Must have at least five years’ experience in business management and personnel supervision along with at least 5 years in landscape architecture or related design profession.
KNOWLEDGE: Must be thoroughly familiar with business management principles and techniques as they relate to the design professions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to speak, hear, write and read English and apply this skill to interacting with clients and employees.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Must have the ability to understand and analyze business data.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Must be proficient in using databases and spreadsheets to capture and analyze data; be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have the technical aptitude to learn Base Builders (Project Management software). Professional writing skills and the ability to proofread is required.
REASONING ABILITY: Must have good organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks of varying size, to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, and the ability to deal with problems involving several variables.
PERSONALITY TRAITS: Must be a self-starter with a positive outlook, a good listener and communicator, goal oriented, attentive to detail, able to work independently, possess strong interpersonal skills and value other people. Must be able to assume responsibility and delegate tasks as required. Must be able to prioritize and organize multiple tasks and work collaboratively with Owner and employees to achieve goals. Must possess managerial capabilities. Leadership skills are required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a valid driver’s license. A professional license in landscape architecture is a strong plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand; walk and use hands to key in information and write. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision with the ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to attend meetings on job sites, when necessary, and be able to walk over undisturbed ground with uneven surface materials and steep slopes.
Must be able and willing to occasionally work flexible work schedules including weekend, daily overtime and traveling out of town where overnight stays are required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly in an office environment but does from time-to-time need to travel to job sites where the employee may be required to walk in uneven and hilly terrain and may also be exposed to heavy construction equipment with moving mechanical parts; uneven ground and outside construction sites where there is a danger of tripping or falling, fumes or airborne particles; or outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is typical for construction worksites where hearing protection may be required.
Work is sometimes performed outdoors in various types of weather, from hot humid summer to cold wet and snowing winter temperatures where employee will be subject to severe weather conditions.
The person is required to travel to and from the office in all types of weather conditions. This employee determines if the conditions are deemed hazardous and unsafe and is to notify employees concerning travel instructions.